High School | Pre-High
School | Junior High School | Amateur
NAHS Sports Page
SCHOOL ELIGIBILITY RULES
Apply to ALL FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORE, JUNIOR VARSITY, and VARSITY teams representing 9th grade or High School (Girls and Boys). You should also be thoroughly acquainted with the eligibility details as contained in the Association Handbook under the Constitution and Bylaws.
1. ELIGIBLE if a student has not reached the age of 19 prior to September 1.
2. ELIGIBLE during the first semester (September 1 to January 31) if a student has passed 25% of the credits required by the State of New Jersey for graduation, during the immediately preceding academic year, i.e., 27.5 credits. ELIGIBLE FOR SECOND SEMESTER-(February 1 to June 30) if a student has passed the equivalent of 12.5% of the credits required by the State of New Jersey for graduation at the close of the preceding semester (January 31) i.e., 13.75 credits. Full year courses shall be equated as one-half of the total credits to be gained for the full year to determine credits passed during the immediately preceding semester.
3, ELIGIBLE immediately if transfer because of a change of residence to another public secondary school district by parents or as approved by the Executive Committee.
4. ELIGIBLE after thirty (30) days from first game meet of a sport at present school, if student re-ceived a varsity award at previous school the previous year and transferred from one school to another when parents have not moved from one public school district to another public school district and only after "Transfer Waiver Form" has been completed and processed by both schools.
5. ELIGIBLE if no influence used to retain or recruit the student.
6. ELIGIBLE to represent his/her present school, if a student's parents move to another public school district maintaining a secondary school of equal grade or higher provided he/she remains properly enrolled, any subsequent transfer will be subject to the transfer provisions.
7. NOT ELIGIBLE after the completion of 8 semesters following a student's entrance into the 9th grade.
8. NOT ELIGIBLE after the class in which a student originally enrolled graduates, regardless of trans-fer from any school during the 3 or 4 year period.
9. NOT ELIGIBLE for thirty (30) days from first game/ meet of a sport at present school, if student re-ceived a varsity award at previous school the previous year and transferred from one school to another when parents have not moved from one public school district to another public school district and only after "Transfer Waiver Form" has been completed and processed by both schools.
1. 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students not eligible for 9th grade or high school participation or practice in any school unless waiver has been granted because of age.
Students in 6th, 7th or 8th grades who will reach age nineteen (19) prior to September 1 while properly enrolled n a member school may request a waiver of the Bylaws, Article V, Section 4.1, Pre-High School Student, to have an opportunity to participate in interscholastic athletics for four (4) years prior to becoming ineligible.
2. Classified Students who will reach age nineteen (19) prior to September 1 of a school year may request a waiver to participate in non-contact sports.
1. Eligible for 9th grade participation if student has not reached the age of 16 prior to September 1.
2. Not eligible for 9th grade participation after the completion of 2 semesters following the student's entrance into the 9th grade.
3. 9th grade students in a junior high school are eligible to participate at the high school level provided the junior high school and senior high school principals approve.
NOTE: At the beginning of a student's high school career students from a sending district are free to choose any secondary school they may legally attend. Thereafter the student is subject to all eligibility rules of the Association.
Amateur Awards: Any member of an NJSIAA team who competes in any adult league or non-school competition (at any time of the year), and accepts prize money or merchandise as a prize at the end of the season, or at the completion of the event, or who participates in any event, exhibition, or program for pay or accepts any cash or merchandise from any party for a display of his/her athletic ability on a gratis, discount basis or loan in any sport, shall immediately become ineligible for one year for further participation in any interscholastic sports activity conducted by the NJSIAA, and any games in any sport in which he/she has competed are forfeited.
©Copyright 2006 North Arlington Board of Education. All rights reserved. Updated July 2006.